Monday, May 11, 2009

Ms. B's enthralling first blog post

I suppose using Facebook has left me with the urge to write about myself in the third person, hence the blog post title up there. The thing about writing about yourself in third person, though, is that it's really only fun to the writer and really very irritating to the reader -- so I'll try to limit myself to third person subject headings only.

Anyways.

So. First post. First post on my new blog. Not my first blog, actually, as I took over the MPL Teen Summer Reading Book Review blog when I became Teen Librarian here, but that's definitely more of a group effort, after all. (You can check out all the teen reviews from the last several years here.) And speaking of groups -- since I'm sure some of my teens will eventually find this, linked as it is through my username to the summer reading blog, I will add here how awesome and wonderful all my teens are, and how each and every one of them are my favorite, the ones who may actually be reading this even moreso.

On a slightly more serious note -- all my regulars really are a lot of fun, and make my job worthwhile. Fantastic group of teens that come into this library; we're lucky. :)

As for 23 Things, I've found it interesting so far (the How-Do-You-Learn quiz really fascinated me, for some reason, possibly because I have such myriad and mostly-fond memories of my college days). We all (and by "we all" I don't mean "we the people taking this course," really; I think I mean "we Americans") need to spend more time learning how to adapt and benefit from change, instead of always going into it kicking and screaming, and since that seems to be a big aim of this course, I'm all for it. And I don't feel bad about making these sweeping generalizations and judgment calls about everyone else, because it's a sweeping generalization and judgment call that definitely applies to me, too.

Although the irony is that, deep down (DEEP deep down), I think we really do like change. Or need it, anyways, which eventually works out to be the same thing if we're trying hard enough. I had a professor who used to say, "We want things to stay the same, but we really really don't."

It's true, so, all things said, I'm looking forward to the rest of this course. Allons-y, then!

7 comments:

  1. Yay Pam for the longest post so far! I'm always interested in what's going on in people's heads during projects like these so this rocks! That's so cool you already had a teen blog (I just subscribed to it!) Do you find lots of teens/parents read it? How do you promote it? And wahoo for the shout-out to learning to adapt. That's hard stuff, but it seems more and more important in our profession (in others too, of course) but we're faced daily, it seems, with new tools and then reconfiguring our schedules to learn how to use them and fit them into our day! As well as discerning if they're even useful at our libraries. I think that people pick and choose what kind of changes they like. I know I'm all about change that I view as moving forward, if it doesn't jive with my definition however, it's pretty hard for me to get on board, so I can relate with everyone out there (sounds of crickets) who feels that way about technology. It's hard, but boy is it rewarding to move through a difficult transition! Glad you're on board with us and can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You totally NAILED it when it comes to change! Change is uncomfortable and sometimes scary - I would argue that if we all felt safe all the time, we're probably doing something wrong with our lives...again, broad sweeping generalization. ;)

    Really, really looking forward to hearing more of your thoughts and insights throughout the course!

    LAV

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for making a comment on my blog. Your blog rocks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way cool blog, and you have inspired me to get on the bandwagon for change we can believe in! I have to agree that the only thing constant is change, and that is a good thing for us humans. But it is intimidating to feel lost...though not all who wander are lost. (LAV reminded me of this awesome quote from LOTR). I love all your references to Hitchhiker's (makes me want to read it again) and it's great that you have a teen blog. My last blog was one for the teen zone at my library, and it was cool though I always wondered how many teens actually read it besides the kids on TAB!
    So good for you! Again, thanks for the ruminations!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like change. Great for vending machines. >.>

    What?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Mrs. B! Hope you haven't thrown the towel in on the FUN but I know summer reading starts (or has already started!) and time is of the essence. Keep in mind that you can jump back in anytime - next week is even a free week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kelley B -- thanks for the Hitchhiker's tie-in joke ... and the encouragement! I'm pleased to say that I'm finally, *finally* caught up! :) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete